Monday, November 26, 2012

the terrible awful

This week has been so full. So, so full. And we have plenty to share from Thanksgiving and a quick trip to San Fran, but before we get too behind, here's the story of this:


A week and a half ago it was our turn to make dinner for the house. I get bored making the same thing over and over, so I thought I'd try these pretty things.


Thanks Pinterest for easy dinner recipes. The kind that get deadly. 

To make your potatoes super thin like that you have to use a mandolin (no, not the musical instrument). If you aren't acquainted with the nasty kitchen tool, it's sort of like a cheese grater but for vegetables and fruit. I was using the single blade slicer to wow all our friends coming over for dinner with my very thin and crispy potatoes. 

I hadn't ever used one before and was really excited about how efficiently it was working. I was so excited, in fact, that I started using it at a pretty fast rate. And just as Cindy (our roommate) yelled from across the room, "Be careful!" I lost the top of my middle finger and a slice out of my thumb. 

We had pictures of that too but I haven't even had the stomach to look at them yet. 

What ensued was a night of me fainting multiple times (and Jimmy almost fainting too), calls to a friend in med school and our moms to determine whether or not to go to the ER, and lots and lots of bandages. I couldn't look at it for almost a week because I was so queasy.

We didn't end up at the hospital because there wasn't much they could stitch, and since then I've been sporting a rather attractive white gauze bandage on my middle finger.  It'll probably be wrapped up for quite a while and we're all waiting in suspense to see if fingers grow back rounded or if I'll have a flat spot there forever.

And you can't even imagine how important your middle finger is until you can't use it at all. 
Life lessons.


No comments:

Post a Comment