Tuesday, November 6, 2012

on elections

Here we are. Election night. 

It is by far the most uneventful election night of our lives thus far. I, for one, am feeling particularly sentimental for my days at Ashland in the Ashbrook Center. But together, we are feeling the great difference between living in California during an election versus living in Ohio. 

Truthfully I hadn't even thought about it until today, which is indicative of how non-existent the election is here. Really non-existent. 

No bumper stickers, no yard signs (and I mean literally none), no calls. Few commercials, and mostly for local California issues, although we don't watch much TV so that may be a bit inaccurate. The election does not exist here. 

A few weeks ago I was at the grocery down the street from our house picking up a few things. I borrowed Emilie's SUV, parked quickly and was heading through the aisles when I heard someone at the front of the store asking customers if the black SUV was theirs. 

I ran to the front, fearful that I had knicked someone's car because I wasn't used to the size of the SUV or that I had parked in a handicap spot.. something significant. When I got to the front and said that it was my car, the woman yelled (yes, yelled), "ARE YOU FROM OHIO? WHO ARE YOU VOTING FOR?"

"Um, excuse me?"

"I watch the news and Ohio is all the rage! It really matters there! I have to know who you're voting for!"

"I'm not really sure yet. Who are you voting for?"

"I don't know."

And then she walked away. It was the strangest interaction of my life. 


Jimmy's Grandpa is running for Commissioner in Ohio.


We'd be lying if we said we have been tuned in to the entire election, which is pretty sad considering that we're married Poli Sci majors. You'd think the excitement/involvement/anticipation would grow exponentially. 

Some of our friends who graduated with us were energized and I'm sure are doing great work in our political system. We, on the other hand, came out of our studies more disenchanted with the political realm than when we went into it.

We're saddened with the ridiculous amount of money spent on this election. We'd love to see that money used in places where it could be effective. We'd love to have a president who has the chance to be a president rather than an eternal candidate. 

But we're hopeful and we believe in the goodness of the United States. We are paying attention tonight and are always mindful of the blessing of our freedoms. Even if you had to stand in line for 4 hours, it may not be ideal but it's a privilege to get to stand in a line at all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment