Wednesday, October 31, 2012

halloween

We celebrated Halloween at a local elementary school for a harvest party with the Wardle ladies.



I know we post about them a lot. In case anyone doesn't know, Addi and Grace are our friends' kids. They're amazing and we've known them some they were tiny, when they looked like this:


It's so fun to see them develop their personalities and sometimes completely outsmart us. And out-wisdom us. They may be young but they've been such a significant part of our journey.

Addi has always been a free spirit but we're learning about her fierce tenacity and competitive nature. Tonight she would not stop getting in line at the Cake Walk until she got herself a cake.



But she is a creative spirit and all girl. The other night we were driving in the car and the election came up. Addi said, "I'm voting for Mitt Romney because he understands our way. Like if I was roller skating he would roller skate behind me and if I did a flip, he would do a flip. You know what I mean? He gets our ways." The metaphor went on for five minutes and included what would happen if Mitt got to the front of the line of rollerskaters and how he would choose to take turns.


To which Grace responded, "I really don't understand why you're trying to explain this to me through roller skating." Grace is called Little Miss Justice and she and I... we're twins at heart. Watching her tell her dad how to drive, seeing her righteous anger whenever a bad word comes up, and experiencing the significance of her purchase of pink pants (PINK!) makes my heart feel warm. I'd trust her judgment on most things. In fact, her opinion on the election was the same as mine. Carry on, Sister Justice. (But thankfully I know she'll be better at tempering it with kindness than I was.)



No costumes for us this year. There was a big dance party for a non-profit downtown tonight but I worked two jobs today AND bought groceries (big awards, right?). And frankly, we were just tired. Womp womp. Maybe next year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment